Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sleep.....seriously?

Do you all realize we leave for China in 5 days???? I can't sleep. Let me tell you I am a sleeper, a very sound sleeper too - no so much now.

Tonight I was texting with a blogger buddy about her upcoming referral and sending care packages, she is so very close and I just can't wait to see her have all the fun & emotions that accompany the referral call. So, I finish up and think it's time for sleep, get into bed, turn the cell on silent and close my eyes, husband is already sound asleep after getting in to bed 10 minutes before me. Whatever happened to those nights when you were just getting ready to go out for the night at 9:30pm? 2 minutes later my eyes are open and 10,000 things are running thru my head, did I pack the soap? baby wipes? Did I put that in my report today? What time will I feed the baby? What does she eat? What day is it? Tomorrow I need to call the travel agent, social worker...and the list just keeps going...... OH please make my brain turn off like it used to back before our referral, I am so exhausted by morning and we haven't even brought Mia home yet.

Am I excited? Yes.......ready? ummmmmmmmm describe ready?


Traveling to 3 provinces in China makes it a bit challenging to pack. In Beijing it is colder than the southern provinces we will be in & checking the weather daily isn't helping. One day it says the high will be 75degrees then the next day the high will be in the 50's. Now in Guangzhou the highs are like here in FL up in the mid 80's....this is quite a difference and is making me crazy trying to pack light. We are allowed 50lb bags in the US when traveling but in China the weight limit is 44lbs per bag (the suitcases weigh 12 lbs empty) Yea, this is fun :) Right now my staircase looks like a closet, everytime I think of something I need to pack it goes on the staircase. Mia's bag is packed and all of her items are now in one of our larger bags (moved from a small roll on suitcase) which leaves us 1 bag for the both of us to pack for 18 days. We really do have that much for her....formula, snacks, clothing, shoes, bath soap, medications, medical supplies, toys..........way overkill but I feel we need this for her.


Thank you to all of the other blogger mommies that have traveled to China before us, without your help we would be so very lost and if I ever needed an answer to something quick RQ has been our lifeline. I started this blog to journal our 18 month wait (yes that what it started out to be) and it has in turn introduced me to some amazing people over the past 4 years and 10 months. Hopefully someone that is just thinking about what the adoption process is all about has stumbled upon our blog and maybe it has helped them the same way that we have been helped. (Too tired to rephrase that but you know what I'm saying) For everyone else that feels they can judge us for our decision to adopt from China - Don't.......we're not interested in why you think we should be doing something else.


What a long road we have traveled to reach this point. It is hard to believe this is actually happening.


We hope to blog from China, our VPN is all set up and ready to go.

The countdown continues......................I think I am going to try that sleep thing again now.

6 comments:

Cora said...

you are so close! I was the same way and everyone told me to sleep, yeah right :) One thing we did was pack as much heavy stuff in the carry ons they never weighed them in BeiJing. and we wore about 3 layers that day to keep the weight down, lol, we were so hot on the plane. Do laundry in Guangzhou it is easy and cheap at the shops.

Ok enough advice for tonight but you have to promise to give Mia a hug from Chloe in a couple weeks. Her picture is in Chloe's album and I make sure I tell her who she every time we look at it.

Take Care, Cora

Shelley said...

Night. : )

Christine said...

Well said Gina! Safe travels my friend. We will meet up with you at the White Swan. I can't believe that this is finally happening. As we get closer to leaving (8th) the more excited we are getting. So much to do before then. We will have our daughters in our arms in just a few weeks. Looking forward to meeting you, Gordon and Mia!

Love, Christine
www.ourjourneytohannah.com

Special K said...

Yes..like I said last night...so very grateful for the internet and all the connections it's brought me. I have no idea how those families who only get info from their agencies even do it. I would never last without the support, info, and advice I've gotten from all those going before me.

Hang in there. Not much longer now!

China Dreams said...

Sleep is highly overrated, anyway.

Ruby

Jonni said...

Gina,

Just thinking about you tonight and hope you are all ready. Holy moley, you are leaving within just a few days. I am sending you big cyber hugs.

Hugs,
Jonni