Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Surgery

Gordon had his first surgery ever this past Monday and is home recovering for the next 2 weeks. He had a Tonsillectomy and 1/2 of his Uvula(the thingy that hangs down in the back of the throat) removed. This was an elective surgery, he does not get infections but he had "tonsil stones" that were uncomfortable for him. The MD told him that a Tonsillectomy for an adult is one of the top 5 worst surgeries to recover from. Go figure and he had to pick this kind of surgery for his first. He is doing well but the 3rd day is when all of the nerves wake back up and it should start to become painful for him, we are on day 2 now. Hopefully he will not have a lot of pain but we are keeping the drugs on board 'round the clock just in case. Here are a few pics....the last one is post op...kinda blurry and gross for you non-medical folks ...just giving you the heads up if you get queasy easily.

My friend Barb works in the OR and came in on her day off to circulate the room for Gordon, what a great friend she is! Gordon and I both worked in surgery and most of the old'timers are still there so everyone was stopping in to see Gordon & wish him well.
In Pre-opWith BarbBeforeAfter
Recoveing

2 comments:

Jonni said...

Poor Gordon! I hope he is feeling better. He looks like he pulled through like a trooper. Hopefully he has been getting lots of rest and good home cooking. Please tell Gordon we are thinking about him. :)

Hugs,
Jonni

oliviaatc said...

My mother an avid quilter and blogger http://kare-lifedoesntgetmuchbetterthanthis.blogspot.com/
sent me the link to your website as I just had a tonsillectomy this past Monday Nov 17. I am 29 yrs old and the Dr also warned me about the risk of the tonsil surgery as an adult.
Its been a week today since my surgery and I am feeling good. I minimized my pain by drinking plenty of cold ice water, luke warm chamomile and spearmint tea, using ice packs on my neck for 15-20 minutes every few hours, gargling with warm salt water and of course taking the pain meds around the clock for the first 3-4 days. They sent me home with liquid morphine and liquid tylenol. I have finally managed to wean myself off of the narcotic, only taking half the dose at night to help me sleep.
I am still having trouble eating anything other than jello, pudding, popsicles, mashed potatoes, and ramen noodles. I tried applesauce and spaghetti o's but they seemed to irritate my throat. And I still don't have much of an appetite.
Anyways, I hope this info helps and I wish Gordon a speedy recovery. If you have any questions please feel free to write at any time. -Olivia

oliviasaflund@hotmail.com