Thursday, July 12, 2007

Squish

I have placed an example here for our family & friends that haven't heard of a squish.
Click on the picture for detail. This is my squish that I will be sending out for the "Culture Swap" with the OHGW group that I belong to.

The wish portion along with a small piece of the fabric (see example below) will be placed in a scrapbook for Mia and the 8 x 8" square fabric of course will be used in her quilt. I just happen to do scrapbooks so the letters are not difficult for me to cut and place on the wish....anything will work, even just a small square of your material attached. You can link to Mia's quilt blog to look at the many wishes we have received so far. Many years from now Mia will be able to look at her quilt and match up the pieces of fabric with the good wish that is in her scrapbook and know exactly who sent it to her.
This quilt is just as special to us as it will be to Mia because of all of you!

A little history on this quilt:
In the northern part of China families traditionally make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt to welcome and celebrate a new life. It is customary to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth and a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth is sewn into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth goes into a scrapbook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the blessings from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric.

6 comments:

amy said...

Oh my gosh, thats beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love square #50!!! Can we comment on the squares in the quilt blog?
K

Kris said...

Your Squish is beautiful! I can't wait to get it! Had to laugh tho, I had chosen the same proverb for my wish - I haven't started my wishes, so I'll choose a different one! Kristen from OHGW

Liene said...

Gina,

I received your squish and wanted to let you know that I am finally mailing one back to you tomorrow! Sorry for the delay but it's been nuts! Hope you enjoy it!

Mike, Hayley & Piper said...

I'd love to swap with you!
I linked through Jonni's blog, we have swapped squishes too.

email me, and I'll drop you a squish.

Hayley
thehappyhoppes@yahoo.com

http://thehappyhoppes.blogspot.com/

Jonni & John said...

Congrats! I just checked RQ and June is out of review already, now if we could only get referrals to go this fast! :)

Hugs,
Jonni