Sunday, March 11, 2007

Goodbye to our best friend


It is with a very heavy heart that I blog this tonight.

Tomorrow we are having to put Dane to sleep because of Kidney failure. He is only 6.5 years old. We went for his yearly shots last weekend & asked the vet to draw some lab work because he has lost about 10 lbs over the course of 4 months. He still looks good and up until the last 3 days he has felt pretty good too. Friday we took him to an Oncologist because the majority of his blood work came back elevated, the results from the Oncologist is that Dane only has 1 kidney and he was probably born like that, the other kidney has done all the work for him over the last 6 years and has finally given out. The short term resolve is to put him on a strict low protein diet and make sure he drinks lots of water. Until yesterday none of the above was a problem, now he doesn't want to eat or drink we have had to run 2 IV's of fluid on him at home just to make him feel better. Both Gordon & I will not let him suffer and he is entering that stage tonight as I write this. Thank you for all the encouraging words from our friends & family, he will be greatly missed.

4 comments:

Dannye said...

Gina, I am soooooo sorry to hear about Dane, you are in our thoughts and prayers during this really difficult time.....

Donna said...

I'm so sorry about Dane. Two years ago in June I had to have my Jake put to sleep. The vet found cancer in his spine and in his bowel. I took the day off of work and we went to his favorite lake.

Truly it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I told the vet that we would put him to sleep outside the clinic and he agreed.

While we were waiting for the vet, a woman who worked for hospice(who realized what was going to happen) told me about a website rainbowbridge.com. The poem gave me something to hold onto while I grieved the loss of my Jake.

Will be sending my prayers your way. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I have been where you are. It is heartbreaking, devastating and basically there are NO words. You all are in my thoughts and prayers are you tackle this difficult situation. I am here for you if you need me....

Lisa Newcomer

T & R McGrath said...

Oh Gina, I am soooo sorry! I can only imagine your pain right now. Please know that you are in our prayers and if you need anything you know where I am.

Hang in there, and know that you are doing the best thing for Dane! We always want to hang on to our furry friends longer then we perhaps should because of the pain and loss of having to let them go.

Love,
Tracy