Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Doggie Heaven

Dane lost his battle with Leptosporosis this evening.
We put him to sleep at 4:30 this evening, he was starting to show signs of exhaustion and didn't want to eat or drink today, it was even too much for him to walk outside and he loves the outside.
I spent the day sitting with him outside on the grass watching the ducks as he loves to do that but today he didn't even care if the ducks came close to him...now if you know Dane you know that he is always on Duck patrol and they don't get close.
This was the humane thing for us to do and we know this was the right choice for Dane.
I almost feel as if he kept on keeping on because of us and the love we have for him.
Tonight we are focusing on Jasmin as she has never known her life not to have Dane in it. When we got home from the vet she looked around for Dane for a while. I don't know how long it will take for her to realize that he is not coming back and that just breaks my heart that she is missing him already. Jasmin is currently taking meds to keep her from becoming ill from this bacteria.
I will miss my Dane terribly but it was what we had to do for him.
Please read about this life threatening disease, (click on either of the links)I was amazed vets do not vaccinate unless you asked for this.
We are still trying to figure out the source of Danes infection as he does not play in the mud, eat dirt or drink out of puddles but there is a lot of wildlife in our neighborhood. We can only suspect he might have picked this up from another pet that might have left it on the grass, Dane walks on the grass and at some point licks his feet. If he had 2 functioning kidneys from birth then maybe he could have held on longer but since he only has 1 and the other was compromised he gave it his best shot and we love him for that.

Thanks for all the support through this.

11 comments:

Jonni said...

I am so sorry Gina. You guys are in my prayers.

Love,
Jonni

Donna said...

I'm so sorry.

Stacy said...

I am so VERY sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you tonight.

Michelle said...

Oh, I am just so sorry to hear this. It is so very hard to lose a member of your family. Our dog is fourteen and has been ailing and I am so worried about the day she will have to leave us. I am sorry.

T & R McGrath said...

I know there are no words that we could say that will make this any better, but know that we are thinking about you and we are praying for all of you.

It is never an easier decision but the right one when our furry family members are suffering.

Love,
Tracy and Bob McGrath
www.waiting-for-emma.blogspot.com

Krista said...

I've been following Dane's progress and was very hopeful. I'm so sorry to hear this news. As a fellow doggie owner and someone who has experienced the unexpected loss of one, I know how you feel. Hang in there.

Dannye said...

G, I am soooo very sorry for your loss, I know how awful it is to lose a part of your family like that, I know Dane will be missed by all, give Jasmin lots of extra love to help her grieve too, when we lost one of our family dogs, the cocker-poo Charlie cried and looked so very sad that Brandy wasn't home with him anymore (they were together for 10-11 yrs), but now he is really thriving.

averysmama said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard it is to lose your best buddy. I still miss my Dakota and it's been over 2 years. As hard as it is for us, we have to do what is best for them. Just remember the happy times and be glad you had him to love for as long as you did.

Anonymous said...

Tell Jasmine Aunt Kerri bought her a new toy!!!! See ya tomorrow.
K

Lisa W. said...

Gina, I'm so sorry to hear it. I too lost a little angel only a few years ago. Little "Sugar" was my baby, a little cream colored Pom with beautiful brown almond shaped eyes. I miss her so, to this day. She was such a good girl and gave us 13 wonderful years! She drifted in and out of our life and we will never forget her. We can only thank God that He extended His arms of love to us through a little cream colored doggie named, "Sugar Roses".

My heart goes out to you both. I'm so very sorry.

Shelley said...

Oh Gina and Gordon - I'm so sorry for your loss. I really feel for you.

Shelley